Saturday, May 24, 2008

Decoration Day

Oh my God. I may be the only one who recalls that the first name of the current U S Holiday, Memorial Day was actually Decoration Day.

Seems there was a desire to remember and honor those who died in the Civil War.
After the WW I conflagration, the day was changed to honor all war dead.

I am sure I had a memorable Decoration / Memorial Day prior to the one of May 30, 1955, I just don't remember it.
I was a 12 year old living on a farm in Willows, CA listening to the Indianapolis Memorial Day Race when my life was forever changed.

I was a fan of the 'Mad Russian" Bill Vukovich, and was fully devoted to the idea that he was the best car racer ever. If I had a sports hero back then, "Vuky" was it.

I was out in the barn doing chores and listening when the AM radio announcer said that it looked like "Vuky" had been involved in a serious race car wreck. I stopped what ever I was doing and waited in agony for a couple of one minute life times.

Eventually the announcer relayed the 'news' that the world's greatest driver had died.

I was stunned. I was a mess for quite a few days, and just couldn't believe it. He was my hero. He was larger than life. He represented everything important to me.

I didn't even know I was a race car fan.

Even today, 53 years later, I am stunned on Memorial Day (Decoration Day) when I awake to know that this was once the saddest day of this little boys life.

I became a man in some fashion that day. It was a hell of an awakening. I am sure it has made lots of seemingly senseless things that happened later on in my life seem more endurable. I have had some pretty wicked blows. I have seen some very ugly things. I have always remembered Bill Vukovich.

I am happy I do. It keeps me sane.

Bill Vukovich didn't know I existed. He definitely influenced me.

You never know what influence you have...

If you've read this far, the fare is paid.
Enjoy in some fashion the freedom and the Holiday we have been given by those who cared enough to go in the way of tyranny, deceit and all kinds of things threatening the wonderful experience of American Freedom.
CABBY

No comments: