Friday, May 30, 2008

So when I am alone, the flag is up and the dispatch radio is chattering in the background as 'noise' until I hear:
"Adam 1; 5 4 / Discover Park, at the statue."
I reply:
" 5 4 / Discover Park, at the statue
"
I leave the Captain Cook Hotel Cab Stand to drive the 7 or 8 blocks. I park, get out walk to the statue. I see you sitting there with your cigar and guide book, enjoying the 11PM sunset view across Cook Inlet West toward Mt Susitna.
I affirm that you had called a cab, you tell me to turn on the meter, lock the car and come sit.

I sit.

Silence. "So what's up you ask"?

I say, "The sense of loneliness at times is harsh."

I sit at a cabstand and wait. I clean the car, empty the ashtray and trash, wipe down the seats, catch my trip log up to date, read a little in the book I have, make my 'Honey Do" list for the time I will have to do that sort of thing, and then I wait.

I wait.

This is what it was like before cell phones. I wonder what it would be like now? We used to have to leave the car to make a telephone call, (Which meant leaving the radio unmanned.) When away from the car, I can't receive a dispatch call, so I stand to lose money by vacating the car. (known as going 'Blue')

Loneliness is a creeping thing. It is almost as if a previous fare left a snake in the back seat, and as soon as things quiet down, loneliness creeps out from under the seat.

Today, loneliness is a product of either forgetting your cell when you left, or not having enough bars to connect.

Loneliness is a factor of not making the effort to reach out when you can. I suppose loneliness is also a factor of not having the skill or desire to learn the skill of texting.

So what does this cab ride have to do with anything?

I am not sure, except to point out what seems obvious to me.

I am aware of a pervasive loneliness among people today. I see cars being driven as a second thought. I see people sitting together each on a cell phone talking to someone else. I see people using their laptops and "e gear" at the table, at the park, at work on break, at the airport waiting area.

Isn't it a lonely picture this draws in your mind?

Of course the argument could be that they were so engaged that they had a full life and were not drifting all alone.

If you have ridden this far, the fare is paid.
CABBY

No comments: