Monday, May 4, 2009

Gardening

Work.
Rewards.
Flowers.
Vegetables.

Snails,
Birds,
Fungus,
Drought,
Hail,
Shade.

I love it all.

I look forward to the planting season. I have planted corn, peas, squash all together in a shared plot.
I have some planters (pots) planted, with a few to do still.
I have lawn to nurse through what looks like an underground assault of ???
Trees have been thinned and pruned.
Hedge is ready to fill in after serious pruning.
Roses fed, beds weeded, and all are well watered.
Tomatoes and onions in the ground.

Anticipation of an abundant flower show; food on the vine. (nothing tastes as good)
Pleasant times just watching the development while pinching back, watering, mowing and cleaning.
Bouquets through the house. Yummy to my nose!

Ah, gardening - a satisfying way to plan for the future while staying in the present.
Why did we leave the old family farm?

Weeds are the compost (3 comppost bins) of the growing season through the fall - which comes all too soon.

Maybe I ought to look for a house with a larger place to farm, not garden?
No!
I have it perfectly arranged as it is now.
I can blame the failures on flower beds too shaded, the slugs, the drought, and just let the garden use my spare time.
All without a single seed catalog!

Come on by in a few days, (60+/-) and enjoy a fresh yellow pear tomato or two fresh on the vine. Ever smell a lightly crushed tomato plant leaf. One of the best smells on the planet.
No cab fare for visiting the garden.
CABBY

No comments: