Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Final ride...

Did you ever think you would live forever?
Did you ever consider that maybe, just maybe you might live to be the oldest on earth?

Well, I can recall thinking both of those things. Seems like a million years ago.
Does that mean in some twisted way that the end is not clear when young and VERY clear when older?

I heard a quote of Dick Cavett that said basically that those of us who get old are lucky, and should just keep in mind that the end is just the end and way too close.

I heard a lady on PBS on the show Second Life say effectively that those who spend their time thinking and talking about death and dying ought to rethink their priorities on how to spend their minutes. Makes sense to me.

She also said that she thought that those who think and talk of death just are afraid to die. I say 'nuts' to that.

I get comfort from talking and thinking about death.

I found this last week that I was thinking of my very close and important friend David's wife Nancy.

See, Nancy's brother's wife has terminal cancer and is in the final days of her life it appears. With a miracle she will survive. Without, all who know her will be left with her memory.

I spent the weekend frequently thinking of David and Nancy. I was so aware of who they are and how powerful and wondrous they are for me. I had no idea what they were up to.

I finally talked to David yesterday, to learn that they had a chance to spend individual alone and couple time with this amazing woman this last weekend.

Now I know David would have had trouble being there, let alone spending hugging time with her prior to 2004.

Today I can tell you that the weekend for David and Nancy although painful and sorrowful was a weekend spent with a person they will never let go of. They will keep her life spirit or whatever you would call it going as they recall those treasured moments with her this past weekend.

To Nancy I say, 'I love who you are for me as a friend, I can only imagine who you are to your sister-in-law - and that imaging is the best.'

My heart is full of sorrow and pain and I remind myself that the pain is part of the process of life.
That is of no comfort.

If you read this far, the fare is paid.
CABBY

No comments: