Saturday, November 29, 2008

Reality

We are a country that yet today has a government that serves at the pleasure of the people. There are others that profess to be like us, however their structure is a replication of only some of the parts of what makes us – us.

Imagine how it must have seemed to the men and women of the first 13 states to say to the world: “We the people….”

It had never been done.

These people had to create everything – a new reality - so to speak. They had to create (make from nothing; bring into being) recognition from Kings and Dictators and Princes and Rulers of all existing authorities around the world the acceptance of a group of men who declared into existence the very thing that these other countries were not and had never been. The other entities of rule and control were ALL - not - “We the people….”

So this is reality. How does this fit in here today?

Within this country is the only opportunity to be truly yourself and become what ever you are capable of becoming. There are no longer any of us white males that can legitimately consider ourselves ‘the only,’ ‘the exclusive,’ the expected,’ ‘the most entitled,’ ‘the best’ or ‘the leader.’

Think about what has shifted.

Power to all of the downtrodden, expectations of the excluded, hopes of the destitute and opportunity where only limit existed before 11 p.m. November 4, 2008 – all of this has been created by “We the people….”

Reality (the quality or state of being real) is what the rulers and Kings and Dictators had to accept. Reality is ours to accept, or fight over, and then accept. Accepting reality is not a choice. Moving forward is a necessity, so let us make sure we do not ‘be’ one of the doubters, and cause a delay in finally becoming “We the people….” because “All men are created equal….”

Note:

This discussion came to me as a result of an email I received yesterday. I was mired down in my life. I was focused on the travails and problems I will have in the future as a result of the economy being so devastated and different than I had planned.

I will quote the principle part of that email here:

Sorry I have been MIA for so long. All of the sudden my life has grown so very busy. Work is driving me up a wall - my business has all but dried up. I have to lay another rep off next week and not looking forward to it. Sales are nearly non-existent. My sister Diane had a massive stroke this past Monday and is not responsive. My brothers and sister think she is near the end. We have decided to pass on heroics concerning her. Her quality of life sucks, and she will be better off if the end comes quickly. May God have mercy on us if we are wrong?

Anyway, other than that crap my life is perfect.”


That is reality. I am fortunate to have all of my relatives, health, a charming and loving wife and responsible, participating progeny. I am back to reality, where I can accept the gift of a new sunrise each day, a breath of air, and a smile from Judy. My life is perfect.

CABBY

No comments: