Saturday, February 21, 2009

Writing

Did you ever consider that you might want to write a book?
Well, I have the reference guide for you. I am not paid, nor does the author know I am touting her book.

"Shimmering Images" by Lisa Dale Norton
(A Handy Little Guide to Writing Memoir) is the sub title.

Consider taking it to the beach, on a flight, to visit your in laws.

It is 138 pages of delightfully written advise. The book would make a great textbook for a writing class.
Step by step with labels for things and mental images for the processes so that it is easier to understand than any BBQ assembly instructions I have ever struggled through.

She is able to speak plain English and clearly is aware of the scope of the pitfalls of attempting to be published.
She also has great advise if all you are thinking of doing is recording your life for posterity.
I presume that some day my offspring will read what I plan to memoir and say, thank you. It will be nothing like this blog.

So, if any one of you think you are unique and are inclined to record the details of what has made you who you uniquely are, this is a handy, easy thorough discussion of the task.

I have a brother-in-law who journals. This book should be in his library.
Hmmmm maybe a Birthday present from me?

I once had a travel writer charter my cab for about a day.
We went to the Indian Health Hospital.
We went to the Psychiatric Hospital.
We went to the Cemetary and to a mortician.
We went to the Chapel at the City Cemetery.
Needless to say, the passenger was writing an article on Anchorage for a funeral director / undertaker trade magazine.

It was real interesting that even though there were a couple funerals that day, He wasn't interested in the people in the cemetery (alive). He did in the end take a scenic trip around the town. I was even able to get him into Chilcoot Charlie's.
I tried to get him to go to Mr. Whitkeys, however he was a woos and didn't want to be out that late.
Oh well, after seeing how easy it seemed to be to do the research and the outlining of the information, I decided that anyone could do what he did. Write.

So my blog is current proof that I was wrong about that.
Fare is paid.
CABBY

No comments: